Volunteering at The Colony
Have Fun. Make a Difference
Volunteers have always played an important role in bringing our vibrant Community to life. The Colony offers many rewarding opportunities to get involved in Community activities, share the wisdom of generations and make a real difference in the lives of the people who live here.
For over a decade,The Colony’s cornerstone volunteer program has been managed by The Normandale Center for Healing & Wholeness (The Center). If you’d like to volunteer, please call The Center’s Volunteer Coordinator at 952-977-9365 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about rewarding opportunities today.
How You Can Help
• Play games, cards or read to a resident
• Serve coffee and cookies in the café on weekday afternoon
• Assist with twice monthly manicures on Monday afternoons
• Assist with twice monthly manicures on Tuesday afternoons with Memory Unit
• Play piano for Sunday 2 pm church service
• One-on-one visits
• Assemble handbooks, directories or newsletters
• Assisting in writing a resident’s memoir
• Host Saturday and Sunday afternoon movie, popcorn and visiting
• Helping residents address and write holiday cards
• Accompany a resident on walks
• Bring a trained pet for residents to enjoy
• Play the piano or other instruments in the afternoon or evening
• Lead a regular craft activity
We look forward to seeing you at The Colony!
What Volunteers Say
“Volunteering at The Colony has given me the opportunity first to give back to the organization where my parents were so lovingly cared for in their final 8 years and second to listen with interest the telling of life stories by folks who are but a few years ahead of me on this journey. In so doing, I hope to express my appreciation of their lives well lived with great respect sprinkled with a modicum of humor. There is never enough laughter, for it truly is good for the soul. In tandem with that is the immeasurable value of human touch….to hold a hand, to share a hug, or to give a simple pat on the back. Our weekly interactions are mutually enriching, and I am fortunate to be a member of the volunteer program at The Colony.” — Vicki Roberts